Wednesday, February 19, 2014

......as though your life depends on it.

How often is this really true anymore? How often does your life actually depend on a decision you make or an action you take? I'm not talking about not eating a donut because 20 years from now you might have a heart attack, I'm talking about immediate consequences of your actions. Is someone going to die if I make the wrong decision here or if I don't work hard enough today? I'm not talking about financial ruin or becoming homeless, I'm talking about the immediate end of your life.

Most of the examples I can think of don't hold up to analysis. Ironically it's the simpler more mundane decisions that have the potential to be catastrophic (should I change lanes now? Should I take the elevator?). In truth, in the U.S our very lives no longer depend on our everyday decisions.

If you choose not to work and earn a living there are charities and government programs that will provide you with a place to sleep and several nutritious meals every day. Provided you have the will to live and a basic sense of self preservation your life no longer depends on how hard you work.

I tried to find other examples of things we might do "as though our lives depended on it". Running from a burning building? Fighting off an attacker? These incidents are so rare most people aren't affected by them their entire lives.

Again, the examples I could find that meet the criteria are mundane decisions and actions. Hardly the types of things people would say they are doing "as though their lives depend on it".

No comments:

Post a Comment